Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 250 - Double Cream Stout

Furthering a trek down the dark path, here's a 4th by this brewer, and second stout.

The deep brown of rain water than has steeped all Fall in a rotted oak stump, I must admit I was expecting the taste to be comparable. Yes, it is heavy, and yes it does have that strong roasted malt taste, but it lacks any kind of sweetness that turns me off, and finishes clean enough. By golly, I might actually like this one...

Specs:

Full Name: Bell's Special Double Cream Stout
Brewed By: Bell's Brewery Inc
From: Comstock MI
ABV: 6.1%

I'm not sure what exactly "double cream" means in this context, and while "special" is almost as bad as "premium", I'll let them slide on this one. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't replace any of my favs, but if you're looking for a mouthful of flavor and you're out on stouts, you might try this one. I'm guessing I find it acceptable because the roasting imparts a somewhat dry taste, and while it doesn't come close to the bitterness of good hops, it beats anything sweet.

Now more than two thirds through this beerfest, with fewer in front than behind (not to mention it getting harder to find untried ones), this should start to get interesting. Sadly, this also means I'm that much closer to being 50. Good news is, started prelim discussons with dad and brothers about the concept of "whisky of the week" for next year... ;>)

cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment