Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 65 - Ola Dubh

I might as well answer this first, since I know everyone is in suspense. Ola Dubh means "Black Oil", and yep, it is exactly that. It is pitch black, very thick, and packs a powerful and complex flavor - akin to used motor oil meets Hersey chocolate bar.....

I'm thinking that anyone that actually likes this genre, would really appreciate this one. I'm ok with it, but picture it more for when I'm sitting around a fire in the darkness of a winter's evening, telling ghost stories or something. I could see having a few of these in the fridge for a special occasion. It's kind of growing on me, which in my opinion, is the sign of a good beer.

Specs:

Full Name: Ola Dubh

Brewed By: Harviestoun Brewery

From: Scotland

ABV: 8% (respectable)


Admittedly, I was a bit dubious, given the airs it puts on. I mean, what self-respecting beer comes with a wine-like foil cover, plus a little tag. You got to give it props for maturing in Highland Park scotch casks, though I'm not sure what to think of putting the bottle # and date on it (bottle# 13643, dated Sept 2007). If this beer has sat warm in the bottle since 2007, and is this good, I'd really be tempted to find others from more recent and try them.

This is another from the Ned collection. Well done bro!

2 comments:

  1. I thought this one a little strange too, but I was intrigued by the scotch reference. Also, it is from Scotland, so I figure that is another country off your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, "dubh" is Gaelic for "black", and is pronounced "dove". Not that I've had too many Scottish or Irish beers. Not me :-)

    ReplyDelete