Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 56 - Saranac Black & Tan

I'm sure the concept of mixing a stout and a lager was born of a necessity, that is, there wasn't enough of one left to fill a beer mug, so in probably a drunken inspiration, or perhaps desperation, this combo was born. In my humble o though, the definitive one of these is half Guiness and half Harp, with the latter floating on the former.

Still, for the times you just don't feel like a full stout and can't get or make your own one of these, this particular one is pretty good. Deep dark color, very flavorful, yet doesn't taste watered down, just lighter, kind of like a black lager, but a bit drier.


Specs:

Full Name: Saranac Black & Tan

Brewed by: Matt Brewing Company

From: Utica NY

ABV: 5.1%

So, the night actually started back at dinner time, when I cracked open a pale ale from a NC brewer. Very sadly to say, it was indeed a pale effort at an ale (a poor palie, just about brought tears...), and while I could have roasted it here, I decided to turn the other check so to speak, and move on. I actually have another type from the same brewer, so they will have a chance to redeem themselves, or not.....

2 comments:

  1. While I totally agree that the Harp should be floated on the Guiness, I have been enjoying this for quite a few years now. One of my favorites from what I consider a mid-major producer. Not big enough to be on TV all the time (which is a good thing), but you can find Saranac just about everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    Glad you liked the Black & Tan and we hope other Saranac brews will make an appearance in your blog.

    ReplyDelete