Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 10 - Smuttynose IPA

Day 10, a minor milestone, so went with something different. Admittedly, I added this to my pipeline because of the name and funny pic of two old guys sitting in lawn chairs, but the initial shot (yes, I pour the first one into a shot glass to check the color etc, got to be professional here..) reminds me that yep, I do prefer hops in my beer.

This one gets it right, in classic IPA fashion. It brings to mind the dry taste of a good grapefruit without the sweet citrus flavor. Each mouthful is punctuated with an almost unconscious, eyes closed "ah" after it, which is a sign my tastebuds likey. I would rate this close to a case, but then, kind of like eating lobster, I wouldn't sit there and drink 6 of them, because well, after the first couple it is almost gluttony and that is really a waste of true deliciousnesss....



Specs:

Name: Smuttynose IPA

Brewed by: Smuttynose Brewing Co
Locale: Portsmouth NH

I'm down to 5 uniques left in the fridge, but that should get me though the pending snow storm (yes, another....) and to the weekend.

BTW, the Allagash White was on strong recommendation from a very good friend, Rob Brownell, who while maybe not sharing quite the same taste in beer that I do, has always been there to share his dry, satirical views on life. If there is any humor in these posts, it is probably his influence/fault... ;>)

1 comment:

  1. This one looks interesting, and it sounds like it has some flavor, but come on now, 10 days in and no porter, no stout but you did a wheat beer by day 8? Tell me, does your husband also drink beer? ;) It is winter time and you are working the shovel hard, time to replenish your energy cells with a nourishing beer. Leave the warm weather recommendations for well, warmer weather. Come on bro, bring out the big guns!

    ReplyDelete