Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 28 - Oranjeboom

One of the many benefits of having great friends, in this case Dave & Mary Prochnow, is that they follow my favorite rule "it is never too late for birthday presents" and are quick to jump on the bandwagon when they see it rolling. Thus, I am another 6 pack of uniques richer, and in their honor, I chose one of their donations for tonight's tasting.

Another first, one out of a can. A lager, and not surprisingly, it is what it says it is. The color is clear pale citrine, and the taste straightforward, with a faint bitter finish that one would expect. Close your eyes, and I could probably line up hundreds of other beers that taste exactly the same and you couldn't tell it apart, but hey, sometimes you want a beer that doesn't distract you, and this one is perfectly fine in that role (and at 16 oz, means fewer trips to the fridge...).


Specs:

Full Name: Oranjeboom Premium Lager
Brewed by: Hofbrauhaus Wolters GmBH (under license from Brouwerij de Oranjeboom, Holland) - very complicated......
From: Braunschweig, Germany
ABV: 5%



This one has a strange lineage, and like many "export" beers, lacks much depth of character. Both the Germans and Dutch brew beers with more pizzaz, which I have to look forward to. So, if you see this in the cooler or in someone's fridge at a party, and you don't want to be seen drinking a domestic, but want the taste of a domestic, grab it. Proc would drink this beer, my bad for not saving it for when he came over. I guess I can pick up one to have on hand, as I like to try and get him out of the "Bud" zone.... :>)

1 comment:

  1. At least you know how to pronounce "uh-RAN-yuh-bohm" :-)

    ReplyDelete