Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 21 - 8 Ball Stout

It took me three weeks, but here's the first stout. The almost black color had my hopes up, and the first swish past the tongue had the characteristic strong roasted malt taste without being too sweet, but to be honest, it kind of dissappears after that. It's drinkable, but lacks the depth I was kind of hoping for. To me, a good stout almost has to be drunk with a spoon, and this one tends to the lighter side.


I have to believe that is intended, to have the flavor without the heaviness, but hey, I'm not drinking a stout to be refreshed, I'm looking for something that acts as an appetizer. I mean, it has oatmeal in it for a reason.... Per the website, it has won some awards in the past, but in my opinion, it's another beer for those who want the look, without the substance. I have another US brand, so will drink that and compare sometime in the near future.

Specs:

Full Name: 8 Ball Stout
Brewed by: Lost Coast Brewery
From: Eurika, CA
ABV: 5.5%



I got a suggestion to add the alcohol content, so did so here, and will try and go back and fill in the others. It isn't always on the bottle........

2 comments:

  1. That's a bummer that this misses out. Might be time to try an import stout or porter. Your comment about the alcohol content brings up the question, are you keeping the empties as proof of your endeavor? That could take up lots of space. Maybe you should just keep the lables ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can usually find the abv on the Web, if it's not on the bottle.

    ReplyDelete