Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 6 - Smithwick's Irish Ale

Given the snow is falling heavily, and we're having beef fajitas for dinner, I went with an ale over the remaining two lagers in the mix (to be consumed/named later...).

A long pull on this ale, and your mouth gets a good dose of earthy, roasted malt, though not near what you get in a stout or porter. So, if you tend to shy away from that "used motor oil" look and taste, but still want to appear manly, this might be your beer. The brand is even owned by Guinness, so the optics support that as well.

Admittedly, this isn't my favorite stye of brew, but I do like the occasional on the proper night such as this, thus for now, I'll rate it between a single and a 6 pack, at least until I have more to compare it to. I think there are more than one option from this brewery, so may try another down the road.

The specs are:

Name: Smithwick's Irish Ale

Brewed by: E. Smithwick's and Sons (owned by Guiness)

From: St Francis Abbey, Kilkenny, Ireland

Abbey has been brewing since 1710

A quick note: I did return to the store this afternoon to add some more to my pipeline, and I had failed to notice the other day a whole different isle full of American singles, to balance the imports. Oh man, this is great!!!! They're chilling now, and I am set for more than a week if I'm stuck at home. Hum, not sure what I'd do if the power goes out, have to walk to Starbuck's to do my blog I guess.....

2 comments:

  1. I serve Smithwicks on St Paddy's Day at my house when I make a big pot of Irish Lamb Stew and Corned beef and cabbage. It is great with them. I put Guinness in the stew and a nut brown ale in the corned beef. A really good dark beer is Murphy's. They sell it in cans. It is pretty good and the English go to Ireland to drink it.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE IRISH TRILOGY - PART 2 - SMITHWICK'S

    'Tis sure we'll be wearing the green,
    When the calendar says March seventeen,
    To help us to think,
    It's Smithwick's we drink,
    Just try some, you'll know what we mean.

    ReplyDelete